How To: Convert VSIDO to OpenRC and remove systemd

VastOne

^ Interesting issues with the installer Snap, let's get to the bottom of it

First the old installer is always there just not on the menu and can be run this way in terminal

remsu /usr/bin/remastersys-installer gui

The installer works but it does not apply the net.ifnames=0 during the installation of grub... You can do that post install by booting to the new install and editing /etc/default/grub and adding it here:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="net.ifnames=0 quiet"

and then upg or sudo update-grub ... Just remember that if this is not the master grub from sda already, it may not apply ... you can always run

sudo grub-install /dev/sda

to apply it to the master (sda)

Let's also troubleshoot the new installer to see what is happening... Are you running expert mode?  The questions are different during the hostname username and user Real name portion and I made mistakes on the first couple of installs getting them backwards

You can also run this from terminal during the livecd session

remsu /usr/bin/refractainstaller-yad -d

This runs the installer in debug mode and leaves a log that we can look at.  This should give us an idea of all the issues you are having with the installer and I can forward anything onto fsmithred over on the refracta forums to discuss and troubleshoot

FYI this puts a refractainstaller_error.log that is actually copied to the new install so when it reboots to the new install you can go into /var/log/ and retrieve the information ... or during the install BEFORE you hit OK or close the last yad screen saying the install is good, you can go into spacefm and under /TARGET/var/log and /var/log you will have the information

Thanks for the input, let's solve this
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

VastOne

@Snap

When you get to the Configuring tzdata and Configuring locations portions of the install, do you go in and change everything to your locations then?

I dev VSIDO

VastOne

@Snap

I figured out the issue and resolved it in the remastersys installer that was prohibiting the eth0 and wlan0 from working

On all ISO's going forward the fix will be there

If you want to fix it on the current ISO (no matter what one you are using the latest ISO or the OpenRC ISO) do this:

Boot into a VSIDO liveCD session

use medit and open /usr/bin/remastersys-installer (as root so you can save it)

find and comment out these lines

NewGrubDefLine="$(cat /proc/cmdline | awk -F 'config ' '{print $2}' | awk -F ' BOOT' '{print $1}')"

OldGrubDefLine=$(grep -B 0  "GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=" /etc/default/grub)
OldGrubLine=$(grep -B 0  "GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=" /etc/default/grub)
sed -i -e "s/$OldGrubDefLine/GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=\"$NewGrubDefLine\"/g" /etc/default/grub
sed -i -e "s/$OldGrubLine/GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=\"\"/g" /etc/default/grub

Save the file and exit it

Then start the install with

remsu /usr/bin/remastersys-installer gui

VSIDO installs with eth0 and wlan0 working as the defaults

I am not going to put this installer back on the menu as an option.... it will be there for anyone who wants to use it by starting it as stated above

I dev VSIDO

Snap

Great job, boss.

Good to know the remastersys installer is still on board. It always worked flawlessly for me while using the refracta one I usually have to fix or tweak things after installing in this and other distros. Like the keyboard as I've said before. Maybe it's only my bad luck and everyone else's mileage vary.  :P

Quote@Snap

When you get to the Configuring tzdata and Configuring locations portions of the install, do you go in and change everything to your locations then?

I think so. But I don't remember ever seeing an option or setting my keyboard with this installer. Not only this time. Then I open a terminal, type something, delete all and curse for a short while trying to remember where the heck the - / , . ; : @ ~ and other symbols are located in the US keyboard, then type dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration and good to go.

Digit

<3

i love that openrc vsido happened.  "ovsidorc"

so... i wonder... sat here on a devuan.... how much would it take to make it vsidofied?
... and ovsidorc'ified.  ^_^