December 2015 Screenshot Thread

PackRat

It's nice - maybe a bit of a memory hog - the pre-compiled binaries anyway; I have only installed some pre-compiledd binaries from there ports to get it functional. Pretty much anything you'd want is in the ports and current - fluxbox 1.3.7! If I built from source - which can be done from their ports, just like FreeBSD - that memory usage with firefox running would probably drop. Documentation not as thorough as I would like, but looks similar enough to FreeBSD to use their wiki for the basics.

Definitely worth a vmware install if you have the time and inclination - VBSDO would be f'ing awesome; even as a hobby OS  8).

Just burned the NetBSD 7.0 iso - got the itch to distro/OS hop this month.
I am tired of talk that comes to nothing.
-- Chief Joseph

...the sun, the darkness, the winds are all listening to what we have to say.
-- Geronimo

Snap

Is it contagious? Kinda epidemic? I'm about installing OpenBSD. Fluxbox will be.

misko_2083

Made a little Gtk3 volume control to control volume. Launches from tint2   ;)
Just had to install some Gtk3 dependancies to work.

PackRat

^ cool. please share  :)

Net/Dragonfly BSD did not like my wireless, so no go on the production machine (bummer actually).

Doing some distro-hopping in the mean time - but getting the latest and greatest of the old reliable just in case:

-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

VastOne

Setup of VSIDO default with misko_2083's new Volume Control / launcher setup in the top tint2 Panel

Great work misko_2083!

@PackRat

Sorry to hear that your BSD trip (I like that play on words) turned into a bad trip...
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

jedi

OK, there's something about the awesomewm that keeps pulling me back.  Learning LUA has caused a lot of head bleeding...  Oh well...

By clicking on the weather cloud over on the top left, it brings up the forecast over on the top right.  NO conky!!!  Right clicking anywhere on the empty desktop brings up the menu (which I'm still working on), or just clicking on the VSIDO Launcher icon at the top left does the same thing!
Forum Netiquette

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."  Anonymous

PackRat

^ nice one.

What is that weather plugin then; strictly an awesomewm plugin, or some lua code that can be used with xmobar or dzen? Hook me up with a link please  ;D

@vastone - BSD wasn't all bad, just not as colorful as I would have liked. FreeBSD is an awesome OS, but ran too hot on my laptop (good 15 C hotter than VSIDO when idling), otherwise I would still be using it. Desktop is dual boot so the wife and kids have Windows for work and school so no BSD there. If you don't need wireless - or just don't want to spend half a day to maybe get it working - NetBSD and Dragonfly BSD were solid as well.

I actually put my meager electrician skills to work and got that old custom build working again. I can use a wired connection on it to get any BSD going. Dragonfly installed on it at the moment; I may stick with that - the hammer file system seems to be similar to LVM (my read on it anyway) so I may try to span the other two drives with that file system. I suppose I could splurge and get a ~$20 US NIC that BSD will recognize if I want wireless on it.

Back on topic -

getting ready for the big day -

-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

jedi

Quote from: PackRat on December 23, 2015, 04:26:57 PM
^ nice one.

What is that weather plugin then; strictly an awesomewm plugin, or some lua code that can be used with xmobar or dzen? Hook me up with a link please  ;D

:) Thanks!  Yep it is strictly an awesome widget.  My favorite weather script has always been the one "arclance" built using LUA.  Ironically enough, I have yet to get it to work in awesome.  Something to do with how awesome handles the 'own_window_type', as well as it's interaction with the 'xdotool'.  Oh well.  His python code works perfectly though!  I may dive into it again and try to figure it out.
Forum Netiquette

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."  Anonymous

VastOne

VSIDO Winterscape...

VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

PackRat

^ pretty - not really a snow fan, but I do miss wintery Christmas.

Back to FreeBSD since nvidia supports it -

-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

PackRat

Last shot of the year -

VSIDO + Fluxbox:

the classics never get old  ;D

Happy New Year to all our users and guests.
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo