December 2015 Screenshot Thread

PackRat

Please remember to use thumbnails  :)

vsido + fvwm + xmobar + trayer

I am tired of talk that comes to nothing.
-- Chief Joseph

...the sun, the darkness, the winds are all listening to what we have to say.
-- Geronimo

VastOne

VSIDO defaults and a Jon Jenkins kind of day...

VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

jedi

Yep, surprised myself, but still using awesomewm.  Doing some experimenting with luakit, the seriously lightweight browser.  Once you get the configs going on it isn't too bad, and even better is how little memory it uses.  Even with a lot of tabs open...

OK, so the above image is Chrome, the below is luakit with 4 tabs open.  Check out the memory use - less than a Gb of RAM.  With Chrome open at the same time, it would be closer to 2Gb of used RAM!

Neither scrot shows one of the other virtual screens that is also running Gimp fullscreen with 2 large images open for editing...
VSIDO rules as far as I'm concerned.  Been more than 3 years now and totally smooth sailing!
Forum Netiquette

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."  Anonymous

jedi

Differences in how awesomewm and conky acknowledge RAM usage.  Conky always reports a lot less usage than the widget in awesomewm.  Curious...

Imagine the desktop without the Conky's, and that is usually how my screen looks these days...
Forum Netiquette

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."  Anonymous

PackRat

QuoteConky always reports a lot less usage than the widget in awesomewm.  Curious...

The widget is probably showing the buffers and/or cache as well as RAM used. Change your conky setting

no_buffers = true

to

no_buffers = false

and they should match (within reason) - you can also run "free" in terminal and get an idea how each is calculating the memory use.

back on topic, back on fluxbox --

still on vsido  ;D
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

VastOne

@ Jedi... Very nice work... You are stretching the limits with low resource apps with killer looks, well done

@RatMan... Stellar as always

VSIDO on my Android?

No...

Just the background

I dev VSIDO

Snap

@PackRat. I read somewhere that there's a bug in conky about the memory usage readings not matching the values obtained by other methods, IIRC. Currently it's quite fuzzy in that department.

Back on topic, my boring vsido desktop.

PackRat

^ is that Scarlett Johansson's yacht?  :D

I read that a while back about memory output from conky; I thought that bug was fixed.

back on topic - Xmonad

I am starting to wonder if this window layout can be scripted in something other than haskell and used in fluxbox, fvwm etc....
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

Snap

I forgot to add Miss Johansson somewhere! LOL.
I am starting to wonder if this window layout can be scripted in something other than haskell and used in fluxbox, fvwm etc....
I'm wondering the same. Zero haskell code background, but I'd love to get the windows in fluxbox looking like in cwm. I guess it shoud be somewhat possible by tweaking styles and maybe undecorating. We still won't get the blinking/urgency colors, etc... but would be a start.

PackRat

@snap -

in the ~/.fluxbox/init file

session.screen0.defaultDeco:  BORDER

will make the default style for all windows just a border; you then use the ~/.fluxbox/apps file to add decor to other apps if you want.

What I was actually referring to was the way those windows get auto arranged in that xmonad style - the active window is automatically centered and can be resized horizontally and vertically (scaled) without losing center. Inactive windows are arranged in a cross behind the active window. ALT-Tab cycles through the windows. Almost as cool as tabbed windows.
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

Snap

Thanks PackRat. Also setting the border size and colors in overlay will override the styles settings. The problem I see with BORDER is that the tabs go away from sight. you can still switch them with keybindings but... so long mice clicks (or hoverings). Set as NORMAL will bring the tabs back but i don't like the border drawn around the tittlebar... Need to think and test a bit more and let's see if i can make it nicer.

What I was actually referring to was the way those windows get auto arranged in that xmonad style - the active window is automatically centered and can be resized horizontally and vertically (scaled) without losing center. Inactive windows are arranged in a cross behind the active window.
Aaah, yes. I love that too.
QuoteALT-Tab cycles through the windows. Almost as cool as tabbed windows.
True. I use TAB in cwm for that. I'm still testing and improving my cwmrc trying to get some things I'm used to get in fluxbox. But cwm is only a tad lighter in RAM than fluxbox so... it's merely for cosmetic reasons. It's not as light as I've spected. For a few KB more Fluxbox offers a lot more. But I love it anyway.

Sorry for the derrailment.

PackRat

@snap - you probably want to use deco bits to specify window decorations then -

fluxbox deco bits for window decorations

Determine the decor you want and add the bits together - tabs + border = 512 + 4 = 516

Then you can use that number as the default in your ~/.fluxbox/init file, or use it per-app in the ~/.fluxbox/apps file. Note that one you log out and back in to fluxbox that 516 will change to some hex code i.e 0x227.

I use deco bits all the time - most of my transient windows are set for border + handle (6), but windows have the tab-in-titlebar.

and no problem, no  real way to derail a thread around here; but just in case:

-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

Snap

Huh, the deco thing. I always found them very cryptic and wondered how the heck to use them (or what for). Thanks so much Packrat. This deserves a good reading.

PackRat

Messing around with a new OS - had never tried this BSD until now:

really smooth and decent hardware support; get a few things ironed out and I may install on a production machine.
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

VastOne

Nice RatMan... I have yet to try it as well, mayhap it is time

I dev VSIDO