OOPS Major headache

Gordon

Hi All

OOPS I have caused myself a major headache. I haven't been on for a while so I did what I always do without looking at things  first. Never Again though. I have done a dist-upgrade and now nothing work, well almost nothing, And I have no idea how to get out of it other  than doing an install from an older disk that I have. Is that the only way ?
Cheers :D
Gordon
Gigabyte Motherboard GA-MA69G-S3H , 8 Gb Ram, Realtek RX550 Graphics,  VSIDO

Snap

No backups? Then I guess reinstall would be the only way.

PackRat

@gordon.

Sid has some major new packages coming through; dist-upgrades causing all kinds of breakage.

You will probably need to re-install with most recent version you have, or can get; then wait on dist-upgrade.
I am tired of talk that comes to nothing.
-- Chief Joseph

...the sun, the darkness, the winds are all listening to what we have to say.
-- Geronimo

paxmark1

And the VSIDO iso of July 26 would be a few mere days prior to the August 01 start of libstdc++6 transition.  That one might work better than an old one.  Whole lot of waiting going on in Sid these days.

Note Once installed apt-get upgrade and even apt-get install flactag (etc. etc.) will cause your machine to break via updating the gcc and flushing many programs (like libre-office) down the drain.   

VastOne

Interesting that on my build machines (VirtualBox) and this host machine, all dist-upgrades have successfully gone through.

These updates have added over 400 MiB of new packages that translates to 100 new MiB's on the ISO builds now... that will not work.  I am going through the upgrades systemically to see what added so much new packages

I have said Fuck Conky for a long time...  Is Debian getting to the same levels?
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

Gordon

Hi all.

Well I will just have to find a back iso that I somewhere, no idea what one it is but its a start and then just wait for the all clear again.  :D :D
Won't be the last time I mess things I bet. Use to doing reinstalls, at it all the time.  :)
Gordon

Snap

QuoteThese updates have added over 400 MiB of new packages that translates to 100 new MiB's on the ISO builds now...

That's around a 20% increment. Hope it will slim down again when things settle down in Sid. Crossed fingers.

VastOne

I just did todays update and it has happened... several packages and 107 MiB removed so at least it is a start
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

Gordon

Well just reinstalled kernel 4.0.0.2. Mostly gone OK but wcid is not working, says not connected but I obviously am so am back on the way to running OK again  :) :) just got to add a few programs now
Gordon