VSIDO Changes Area

VastOne

This area will now be for changed and discussions for VSIDO changes.

We will park any and all script and design changes here, once any changes have made it to here they will be included on the next ISO release
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

PackRat

Is lvm2 (logical volume management) installed by default with VSIDO, or is in the post install script?

Either way would be a nice addition.

Also, did an install of the latest iso and noticed that curl and rsync were in the post install script. I thought those were already added to default install so it is redundant (and misleading) to be in the script.
I am tired of talk that comes to nothing.
-- Chief Joseph

...the sun, the darkness, the winds are all listening to what we have to say.
-- Geronimo

PackRat

A couple of scripts for consideration -

ps_mem - handy script for identifying memory usage; also good to get the name of running services for systemd stop/restart.

bash_mount - bash script for mounting devices. Mounts devices rw, very useful especially if you're not using a login manager that provides automounting.
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

VastOne

Quote from: PackRat on July 28, 2015, 02:28:01 PM
Is lvm2 (logical volume management) installed by default with VSIDO, or is in the post install script?

Either way would be a nice addition.

Also, did an install of the latest iso and noticed that curl and rsync were in the post install script. I thought those were already added to default install so it is redundant (and misleading) to be in the script.

All three are defaults now in VSIDO.  RE the post install vsido-welcome script.  I am in the process now of revamping that to a more current needed apps list and will look for feedback on what to include in another post in this sub forum.  I am also entertaining the idea of making it a yad or python script (with assistance here from all but will especially ping  misko_2083 and hakerdefo)

Quote from: PackRat on July 28, 2015, 02:33:01 PM

ps_mem - handy script for identifying memory usage; also good to get the name of running services for systemd stop/restart.

bash_mount - bash script for mounting devices. Mounts devices rw, very useful especially if you're not using a login manager that provides automounting.

These are great suggestions... Would you set these up as aliases as the best way to use them? (after locating them in /usr/local/bin)

I dev VSIDO

PackRat

I just installed them to /usr/local/bin as per the INSTALL instructions.

ps_mem needs to be run as root.

The commands are easy enough to remember, I usually reserve aliases for commands with switches/flags - like "apt-get purge --remove".
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

Snap

Quote from: PackRat on July 28, 2015, 02:33:01 PM

Great stufff. Thanks for sharing.

Snap

QuoteRE the post install vsido-welcome script.  I am in the process now of revamping that to a more current needed apps list and will look for feedback on what to include in another post in this sub forum.  I am also entertaining the idea of making it a yad or python script (with assistance here from all but will especially ping  misko_2083 and hakerdefo)

That sounds great to me.

It would be great adding a little more control for the user. Welcome scripts (not only vsido's) tend to install a truckload of stuff along with all their recommends. You don't really know what will be installed untill it's all installed and sometimes you get unpleasant surprises discovering that this and that went silently through.

hakerdefo

A friend called me recently and said he wasn't able to view images imported from his Canon digital camera. I asked him to open the image(s) in Mirage, he replied that Mirage was unable to open them. Perplexed I went over to his place to have a look and discovered that his camera was capturing images in RAW format! A bit of googling and I learned that now-a-days even most mid range mobile phones are also able to capture images in RAW. There are some RAW image editors out there but they are complicated and overkill to just view the images. Further research reveled that there are not many image viewers out there that support RAW formats! Then I came across 'Geeqie'. It is a wonderful little image viewer that is lightning quick, lightweight and importantly support many RAW image formats beside the regular image types. A worthy candidate for inclusion as default VSIDO image viewer. Trying Geeqie is as easy as,

sudo apt-get install geeqie

Can (Should) Geeqie replace Mirage on VSIDO? What you guys think?
Cheers!!!
You Can't Always Git What You Want

VastOne

I will look very seriously as this. My daughter is a photographer and we deal with raw images all the time. Mirage is a great app but I'm always open to change so I will let you know. I also encourage everyone else to take a look at it

I dev VSIDO

PackRat

Depending on what you're trying to do, there is also ufraw (stand alone) and a ufraw plugin for gimp so photos can be imported directly to gimp.

Pretty sure my camera can take RAW image format; I'll take some pics and try some viewers.
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

Snap

Really interesting. Gonna try it.

Thanks, hackerdefo.

Snap

At first instance and fast check... wow!!!  ???

PackRat

RE - raw format photos

I just noticed that the package tumbler-plugins-extra provides a plug-in for RAW digital camera images. This should allow the images to be viewable in thunar (any file manager, I suppose) correct?
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

Snap

Cannot check ATM. I gave my cameras away to one sister and a friend a while ago and my crap cell phone is like 8 years old. Not RAW available,

Regarding viewers, The only thing that somewhat annoys me is cropping on the fly. Crap in mirage and none in geeqie (or haven't found it). Still having to open the slow Gimp, but aside of that, geequie is really feature rich and not much extra dependencies needed. I really like it. Though maybe for the Vsido default apps Mirage is more than enough and doesn't pull any extra package.

hakerdefo

Quote from: PackRat on January 08, 2016, 10:23:27 PM
RE - raw format photos

I just noticed that the package tumbler-plugins-extra provides a plug-in for RAW digital camera images. This should allow the images to be viewable in thunar (any file manager, I suppose) correct?
Sadly tumbler is a known CPU eater. If browsing a slow (comparatively) flash based device or optical device with plenty of images tumbler can even lock the whole device. It is designed for Thunar so I'm not sure how well it can integrate with other file managers! Only other image viewers that can handle the RAW files are shotwell and nomacs. shotwell too me is a bit too bloated and big for VSIDO and nomacs is not available in the Debian repositories!
Cheers!!!
You Can't Always Git What You Want