GPT Partitions and VSIDO

jedi

So I've been working on this for a while now and finally got it working!  Yes indeed VSIDO will install and run on a GPT partitioned SSD or HDD.

The beauty of this is the ability to basically have an unimaginable amount of primary partitions, instead of having to deal with the 'Logical & Extended' crap of msdos partitioned drives using MBR.  It also removes the 2Tb limitation of MBR/msdos partitions.

While the GPT partitioning works fine, UEFI still needs some work.  In order for UEFI to work, you have to replace Grub2 with Grub-efi-amd64.  The issue with this is that VSIDO has Remastersys, and if you install grub-efi-amd64 it will definitely, without a doubt, "break" Remastersys as it relies on grub-common/Grub2.  (I doubt on a current install you could do this anyway)

More to come...
Forum Netiquette

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."  Anonymous

VastOne

^ Thanks jedi, the  testing you have done is incredible and I appreciate it

The thing that breaks remastersys is grub2 being removed, which in turn removes remastersys...

It is not an issue on my end since I do not use anything UEFI, but by installing Grub-efi-amd64 so that UEFI works out of the box, makes building an ISO very difficult without remastersys

VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

jedi

Yeah, sorry 'bout that little mishap last night.  I didn't mean to break your test machine!!!  So far today (Sunday) I've 'broken/borked' a Debian Netinst install, and 2 VSIDO installs. ??? :'( ???

Oh well, I've learned a lot along the way.  Stuff like, WOW, I can even break one of VastOne's machines!  Glad it wasn't your 'main' box!  So, going to call it a day now, enough geeking!   :D
Forum Netiquette

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."  Anonymous

VastOne

^ You broke my secondary build box for all of 5 minutes... thats how long it took to restore the fsarchive backup of the build partition...

Still, I plan to smack the **** out of you when I see you!

I dev VSIDO

lwfitz

SMACK HIM! SMACK HIM!  :D :D

I have a couple UEFI boards and would love to see this that part of it working. GPT would be nice so that I could dual boot but I made the choice to just build another machine to run Windows off of  ;D ;D

Good work though Jedi, I really like the direction VSIDO is going with this.
Don't Be A Dick!

jedi

DO NOT TRY THE GPT PARTITION METHOD AT THIS TIME! IT WILL SERIOUSLY HOSE YOUR PC!

Yeah well I spoke to soon.  Rebooted and all was a disaster.  Not only would it not boot, it refused to see the SSD drive in BIOS.

This ended up being because of the GPT partitioned drive.  The more I try this the madder and more frustrated I get.  F**K Microshat!  The problem ends up being that with a GPT partitioned drive, you have a "Boot" partition where the EFI information is not only stored, but also 'written' to NVRAM.  This is a serious f**king problem if you ask me.  Once I installed VSIDO, of course I had to install Grub2.  This mixed with grub-efi-amd64 is evidently a problem...

Oh well.  Now I'm seeing Xorg getting removed, even though I just ran update and dist-upgrade in a separate terminal window "before" vsido-welcome.  Just not my night evidently.  So I'll be re-installing yet again tonight.

I'll report back in a little while with more results.  IMO though, anyone wanting to try GPT partitioning might want to hold off for a while...
Forum Netiquette

VastOne

^ Sorry to hear that jedi, but this should teach you well not to ever mess with my machines again!

(putting away jedi voodoo dolls now)

I need to see this xorg issue... Is the other message that 349 files will be upgraded?  I have not been able to reproduce this yet

I dev VSIDO

jedi

Not 349, 317.  Then it removed over a hundred.  Check out the scrot of the install time just now!  Fastest personal install for me since we started this epic journey!!!  ;)

My 13 year old daughter just left an hour ago on her first journey alone (on a school sponsored function) to Washington D.C.   :'( :( :'(  I'm on IRC tonight as I am not going to be able to get any sleep.  Yeah, yeah, I know you all have lives!   ;D

I just knew you had a voodoo doll or something...   :o
Forum Netiquette