Auto login and lightdm?

hinto

Has anyone been successful at getting autologin, lightdm, and XFCE working?  I have a Linux machine that I "shadow" with No Machine.  I can't connect unless 1) somehow have lightdm as a registered NX User or 2) start up a session at the machine, then flip over to my workstation and then start up No Machine.  Google doesn't seem to want to provide the goods (or I cannot find the magic incantation)
-Hinto
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." - Sir Isaac Newton

VastOne

VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

hinto

Yeah... but I didn't set the pam settings... It looked a little different than what VSIDO has out of the box.
-Hinto
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." - Sir Isaac Newton

VastOne

VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

hinto

Nice... I'll give it a try.
Conversly, I never fully researched why I can ssh -X to the server and bring up Thunar and not be able to mount my external usb drives/mp3 player.  It seems if I am logged into the console (or shadowing/vnc) I can.  I got bogged down in pam there, too.
-Hinto

hinto

Nope...
Still get:

NX> 596 ERROR: Cannot share session of user: lightdm.
NX> 596 ERROR: User: lightdm is not a NX user.
NX> 105 NX> 280 Exiting on signal: 15

hinto

Since lightdm isn't cooperating, I'm going to replace it with gdm.  I know it does auto login.  That's what I ended up doing with siductiom (switching from lightdm to gdm).  Maybe it isn't cut out for mere mortals (like myself ;) ) BTW.. even with my mods, it's still pretty frugal on cpu/mem consumption.
Nice.
-Hinto

hinto

...as soon as I find out why there's no gdm in sid ;)
-H

EDIT: apt-get install gdm3

hinto

That did the trick... installing gdm3 and editing
/etc/gdm3/daemon.conf
[daemon]
# Enabling automatic login
  AutomaticLoginEnable = true
  AutomaticLogin = hinto