Network Setup In VSIDO

jedi

This was formerly the "How To - Setting up wireless with ceni" thread.  Due to recent changes in how "SID" behaves, this has become a general network howto for VSIDO...

For those of you using wired connections, /etc/network/interfaces and /etc/resolv.conf in VSIDO will handle your Internet connection OOTB as long as your device is eth0 (which it probably no longer is for new users using the latest ISO's of VSIDO).  Therefore:

FOR CENI -
If your just trying out VSIDO using a 'Live Session', here is a pretty simple way to get VSIDO to see your network.  Open a terminal, and type in;
ifconfig -a
This gives you the name of your network devices.  For example, what used to be 'eth0' may now be something like 'enp0s3'.  While the terminal is still open, type in;
sudo su
This gets you to a 'root' prompt.  Type in;
Ceni
Your network device should be listed.  For wireless connections, the below directions for 'ceni' should still get you through.  For 'wired' connections your network device should already be highlighted, and if not, press the "Tab" key to get to it and press "Enter".  You should see the next screen which will be the "Network settings for enp0sXX".  Most home networks are 'dhcp' so tab to the box and select 'dhcp' using your "Space" bar.  "Tab" to the next box (Class) and select "Auto".  "Tab" to the 'Accept' button and hit "Enter".  If all went well, you should see some text fly by quickly then return you to the "Do you want to exit" box.  "Tab" to the 'Yes' selection, press "Enter", and your done.

FOR WICD -
(Use the above method to discover your network device names, 'ifconfig -a')
For users using 'wicd' which comes by default with VSIDO, you should see an icon representing 'wicd' at the top right of your screen.  Click this icon.  A new window will open.  This is the 'wicd' gui.  At the top right of the 'wicd' window you'll see an arrow pointing down.  Click on the arrow and select "Preferences".  Another window will open.  You'll immediately see the "Network Interfaces" at the top of the window.  Replace the selections with the results you received using the 'ifconfig -a' command in your terminal.  (from the directions at the top of this 'how to')  (If your using a wireless connection, you can click on the "Adanced Settings" tab and towards the bottom you'll find a place to enter you access point password.)  Once you've done this press or click on "OK".  You'll be returned to the original window for the 'wicd' gui.  Once again, click on the down arrow at the top right and click on "Refresh".  Your 'network device should now be selected.  Click on "Connect" beneath the correct device for your computer and presto, you should be good to go!  Close the 'wicd' gui and your done.

These settings should remain after a reboot if your doing this after installing VSIDO.  If your doing all this from a 'Live Session', you'll need to repeat these steps after every reboot...

Ceni for WiFi

Start Ceni in terminal with 'ceni'

Enter the su password for your system.

You should see the following screen. Be sure to select the correct device and press 'Enter';

Next (assuming your setting up your wireless) select scan;

Next, select the correct wifi network in the list;

Next, be sure the correct selections are made, and enter your "Preshared Key" (your wireless access point password);

Next, tab to the "Accept" button and hit enter;

At this point your almost done!  You should see the following screen where you need to tab to the "Class" box, highlight the 'auto' selection, press the space-bar to select it, then tab to the "Accept" button and hit enter;

Last step, is to exit the ceni config tool;

Thats it!  Enjoy your wireless network!

Profit!
Forum Netiquette

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."  Anonymous

VastOne

Very nice How To jedi!

And now the million dollar questions, can this replace wicd on the next ISO build and can a new user easily setup wifi with ceni?

Speaking of dizzie, where the hell is he?
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

jedi

As to a new user being able to use 'ceni', my feeling is that it is very simplistic.  It also involves using the 'terminal' which is never a bad thing for a 'new user'!  The more interaction with the 'terminal' IMO the better off one is!  As to including it in new builds, that would depend on you, and how 'difficult' it would be to implement.

I'm not to sure about it replacing wicd.  The use of wicd for me is a non-issue since most modern day pc's come with such an extraordinary amount of ram.  I only switched to 'ceni' after a chat with dizzie on irc, and to see how truly simple it was. (and is)

And, speaking of dizzie, haven't spoke with him since around 2am this morning.   :'(  He has been making himself scarce lately!  Perhaps to enforce the quote; "absence makes the heart grow fonder"? hehe  ???
Forum Netiquette

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."  Anonymous

VastOne

Replacing it is easy and not an issue at all... There are also several very good distros who use ceni and I know it is of great value

I do not think there is an issue supporting it out of the box, this How To and our user base can handle most of it

I guess the real question is the LiveCD portion and what can be setup with ceni to automagically work when using the Live portion...

I dev VSIDO

jedi

Sorry VastOne, I gave the Live-Cd no thought whatsoever!  That would be the question probably, would it be possible in the Live-Cd session.  It's ease of use is undeniable.  If it's easy enough to do, then my opinion would be with ceni as opposed to wicd.  It seems wicd has a large audience of 'haters' for some reason!  ;D (maybe because it has a GUI?)  :D

Sounds like some experimentation with the Live-Cd stuff might be in order!!!   :P
Forum Netiquette

dizzie

I'm gonna shut up next time i find something cool, other makes a guide/howto out of it  ;D
Reclaim your culture, it's within your reach!

My Blog | Facebook | Twitter | G+ | VSIDO |

jedi

See, I knew you were keeping all this info to yourself!!!   :D
Forum Netiquette

merelyjim

Thanks, Jedi!
I'll try this when I get home tonight.
To be honest with you though, I'd be a lot more concerned if this system I'm running wasn't 64-bit. And older CPU with limited RAM and 32-bit, that's where you're going to see your system resources pinched. Here, I've got resources to burn! Be fun if I can make the same stuff work on my netbook running #!  :)

dizzie

Quote from: jedi on February 12, 2013, 12:29:21 AM
See, I knew you were keeping all this info to yourself!!!   :D

shhhhh! don't tell !!!  ;D
Reclaim your culture, it's within your reach!

My Blog | Facebook | Twitter | G+ | VSIDO |

tlinsley

Very nice "How To"!

Fyi, ceni can also be installed via smxi (without even leaving X).

Just start smxi like so...
sudo smxi -G

Then take the following options:
1 - package-install
3 - utilities
9 - ceni-sid

Profit!

VastOne

Nice tlinsley, thanks for that....

I am just now uploading a test ISO with ceni installed as the default network manager

Once done and tested thoroughly it will be the default from this point forward

I dev VSIDO

merelyjim

Used @tlinsley's method, and it worked with no problems.
Lots of questions asked the network that I wouldn't like to go through each time I encountered a new wifi network, but it's working.
Using sudo apt-get remove to get rid of the gnome code, and restart.

merelyjim

Restarted! Everything works.  ;D
RAM is at 10% with nothing else going on...
Now that I know it's there, it's great.
For a new user, I think ceni would look pretty intimidating.

Oh, and smxi also offered to install Libre Office. Maybe it can be folded into the post-install script?

VastOne

Nice to hear merelyjim!

Umm... What are you asking to be folded into the welcome script?  libre-office is already a choice on the welcome script and smxi is installed as a default on every VSIDO installation.

I dev VSIDO

merelyjim

Never mind... Thought there might be an easy was to avoid a duplication somewhere.